Monday, January 20, 2014

Unpacking Our Identities-- and Our Privileges

We had our first pre-trip training of the semester, and we certainly dove into it. The first activity that we did as a group was identifying and discussing our identities. Along with this discussion, naturally, came the discussion of privilege. This is a tricky subject to talk about, because it comes in different forms for everyone, and we don't all want to see it for what it is. I was able to have an open and honest discussion with the rest of my alternative group members and leaders about the privileges that we have. More importantly, we were able to discuss the outward perceptions of these privileges and the stereotypes that we carry with us. I appreciated this discussion because it set the tone for the rest of the training of the semester. Once we are able to dissect and analyze our identities, we can begin to see the identities of those around us, and become more perspective and compassionate.

The second part of our discussion related to the issue of privilege. We read about the current dialogue of activist trips that frequently turn into a phenomena known as 'poverty tourism', or 'slum dog tourism'. This refers to the idea that affluent people will come to underprivileged areas in the world, fuel the economy on a short term basis, and go back to their cocoon of affluent homes, back to their affluent lives, never making a positive impact in the community. To complement this topic, we read a short article by Ivan Illich, titled "To Hell with Good Intentions". The article discouraged all forms of so-called activism, because they played up the privilege of those who could travel but did not really make a difference. This was a new perspective, and made me questions how effective alternative breaks truly were for personal growth. After discussing it with the group, we decided that the main takeaway from this perspective was that we should let the Haiti trip be the spark that promotes us to work for a better future for all. The trip should not be one that turns into 'poverty tourism'-- and it is on every one of our shoulders to make sure that is not the case.

As I go into the rest of the pre-trip training sessions and the trip, the issues that we explored in this pre-trip training will certainly stick with me. I know that I need to approach this trip as a "learner", the way that Kent Annan describes in his article, "Poverty Tourism Can Make Us Thankful Sojourners". I know that I need to approach this incredible opportunity with the willingness to be extremely uncomfortable at times. The key is to be able to bring these feelings back with me to fuel the fire behind my mission to sustain positive change. This trip cannot simply be one where I come back and compartmentalize my experience and let it be. Visiting Haiti and learning should only be the very start, and I am excited to see what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment