Friday, January 31, 2014

Cherche Lavi: Seeking life amidst the aftershocks

Those who were lucky enough to escape the earthquake alive were unfortunate enough to live in a Haiti where Cherche Lavi - seeking life, making a living - was nearly impossible. Those who had anything left sold and bartered on the streets, those without homes took land and the promises of reconstruction rarely came to fruition. 

When one reads of the tragedy Haiti experienced after the 2010 earthquake, it’s difficult not to get emotionally drawn and sympathize with those that lost so much that devastating day.  I was one of those who picked up my cell phone and texted in my contribution with hopes that I would be making a difference. That’s what they promised. Multiple NGOs made steep promises to the people of Haiti that became too difficult to administer. I was a believer; we all were at one point because having something to believe in was better than having nothing. People poured their hearts out and opened their wallets to NGO’s that were making these promises. World governments reacted with their own pledges and programs. There is no way Haiti was not going to bounce back after billions were pledged. Now, four years later, and I wonder if my small contribution of $20 made a difference in someone’s life and if those pledges ever made their way to Haiti. I became skeptical and found that the message I was getting at home was not the same that the people of Haiti were experiencing.

I have yet to set foot in the country, but it has already become a great part of my life and brought me to crossroads of my own. Jonathan Katz in his book, The Big Truck that Went By, regards Haiti as a place of crossroads; it is where he found a calling for himself and presents the idea that all those who visit Haiti are in turn presented with a crossroads of their own. Even President Clinton was not immune. The story goes, according to Katz, that while on his honeymoon in Haiti, Clinton was unsure about his political career especially after just experiencing electoral defeat. It is unsure what exactly about the country influenced his decision, but he credits his time in Haiti as the main reason for his race for state attorney general upon his return to the States.  A race that he ended up winning and one that launched his political career. I expect that Haiti will give me many more challenges as I get closer to entering the country and once I am there.

I can see this crossroad on the horizon and sense that I am coming upon it, what i once knew about aid disbursement has turned completely upside down in my preparing to go to Haiti. While NGO’s fought over which program would give them the best profit and governments  pushed their own agendas forward, the people on the essentially diseased soil of Haiti continued attempting to cherche lavi, seeking life. The pre-departure sessions have opened my eyes, giving me a different point of view than the one most Americans are fed by the media. There is a lack of understanding, knowledge and commitment in the public and media organizations.  This has led to an assumption by most Americans that their donations went directly to the Haitians, but the Haitians had no influence over drafting USAID projects or in the types of materials that were donated. Americans saw the state of Haiti on the news months after, led to the assumption that Haitians are unable to rebuild and sent what they could or thought would be most useful without asking what they needed. This has been an important realization for me. A contribution is usually considered a mindless act where one simply sends their money and it is taken care of.  I have learned that a contribution is not a simple text message, it should be a commitment to engage in a dialogue with those we are seeking to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment